Early Head Start (6 weeks to 3)
In Early Head Start, Next Door is there to help in your child’s first few years of life. Our staff surrounds infants and toddlers with a supportive, loving environment and begins basic educational instruction. Parents can choose either home-based or center-based programming for their children.
Our home visitors come to your house and connect with you using your native language. During these visits, we make sure you understand your child’s development process, help you foster a safe and healthy living environment and ensure that your child is up to date with medical and dental check-ups.
In order to meet other families and have your children interact with their peers, we organize playgroups twice a month at Next Door. Our annual events for families include a Winter Fest, Mother’s Day and Father’s Day Brunch, a Family Picnic and Music Jamboree. We offer fields trips as well.
If you are looking for an alternative, home-based option, independent of Early Head Start, you can consider our reading development program. It is open to children 18 months to 3 years old. Our staff will come to your home twice a week for 30 minute sessions. Funding for this home-based program is provided by the Parent Child Home Program.
If you’re looking for full-day, year-round care, we provide early education services for children six weeks to three years old at our 29th Street campus and Capitol Drive location. We also work with nine partner organizations at 11 sites around the city to provide Early Head Start center-based services. Below are all of the site options.
- Educare Milwaukee at Next Door’s 29th Street campus
- Next Door Head Start at Capitol Drive
- COA Youth & Family Centers
- Kindercare-West Allis
- La Causa
- Mailaika Early Learning Center
- Neighborhood House
- St. Ann’s Center for Intergenerational Care
- St. Joseph Academy
- Stepping Stones Children’s Center
- Age: 6 weeks to 3 years old
- Hours: 7:30 am to 5:30 pm at Next Door locations. Contact partner sites for their specific hours.
- Location: Next Door Milwaukee sites at 2545 N. 29th Street and 5310 West Capitol Drive; plus 11 partnership sites in Milwaukee and Ozaukee counties (Click here for locations)
- Year-round, full-day center-based programming at Next Door and partner locations
- Class sizes of 8 students per 2 teachers
- Provides diapers, wipes, infant food & formula at Next Door and partnership sites
- Nurse practitioner on site at Next Door locations; Nurses serve partnership sites on a traveling basis
- Each family assigned a Family Advocate Specialist at Next Door locations; Partnership sites have one specialist per location
- Nutritious meals and snacks daily
- Home-based programming to help develop a stable home environment, build parenting skills and promote literacy
- Must meet income and other eligibility requirements