Head Start (Age 3 to 5)
Early education in a welcoming environment.
Our Head Start program offers full and part-day center-based programming for children ages three to five. The focus here is building child development through a combination of educational instruction and family support services. Our staff works with you to ensure the proper health and nutrition for your child.
Our Head Start program offers home-based programming as well. We match home visitors with your family who speak your native language. During these visits, we make sure you understand your child’s development process, help you foster a safe and healthy living environment and ensure that your child is up to date with medical and dental check-ups.
We also offer socializations twice a month for Head Start home-based families to interact with other children and parents in a school environment. We organize field trips to places, like the Milwaukee County Zoo, the Betty Brinn Museum and neighborhood parks.
- Age: 3–5
- Hours: Half-day programs for 3-year-olds from 8 am to 11:30 am or 12:30 pm to 4 pm; Full day for 3-year olds from 7 am to 5:45 pm; Full-day program for 4-year-olds from 8 am to 4 pm; 3 & 4-year-old program from 8 am to 2:30 pm
- Location: Next Door Milwaukee sites at 2545 N. 29th Street and 5310 West Capitol Drive, and Oliver Wendell Holmes School (MPS) at 2463 N. Buffum Street
- Comprehensive approach to school readiness
- Focus on language and literacy development
- Utilizes a play-based curriculum
- Serving children diagnosed with special needs
- Nutritious meals and snacks daily
- Nursing staff on-site
- Each family assigned a Family Advocate Specialist
- Must meet income and other eligibility requirements