50th Anniversary Fundraising
At Next Door we combine high quality early childhood education and family engagement to prepare young children for success in school. This approach provides critical support during a child’s most important developmental years – the first five years – building a solid academic and social emotional foundation to build on.
Children growing up in poverty are at risk for entering kindergarten up to 18 months behind children from more affluent families – creating an achievement gap that is difficult to overcome.
Through home- and center-based programs, Next Door serves more than 1,700 children and their families every year, through three locations and 11 partnership sites in Milwaukee’s central city. Using a two-generation approach, we support strong parent-child relationships, family well-being, and ongoing learning and development for both parents and children.
To fully support this work in the coming years we are launching an $11 million fundraising campaign with community gifts raised in support of:
Enhancing our early childhood education programs including:
• High quality teaching practices
• Art education
• Books for Kids literacy program
• Mental health programs
• Family engagement
• Staff development
• Specialized training on brain development and trauma-informed care
• Expansion of our University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee partner-led student assessments of all center-based students
Updating our 29th Street learning environment including:
• Transforming two indoor and three outdoor play areas into age-appropriate, themed spaces to support the gross motor development of infants, toddlers, and preschoolers.
• Creating a Community Café to increase parents’ connections with each other and our Family Services team.
• Redesigning our Books for Kids Library to increase children’s engagement and improve experiences for volunteers who read with children each year.
• Bringing natural light into the entire environment by removing cement blocks and creating windows throughout the corridors.
• Incorporating playful color themes throughout the entire campus through paint and flooring.
• Updating the facade to reflect Next Door’s branding and core values.
For a full description of our programs and plans CLICK HERE.